If you would like to earn money from your blog, you should think of it like a business from the start and set it up that way. Some things you should consider when starting a blog or social media business account, from a business perspective are:
- Do you plan to try to earn income?
- What services will you be providing?
- Do you need to set up an LLC?
- Do you have a business plan?
- Do you have a financial business account?
- Will you need to pay taxes quarterly?
- What will your expenses be to set up and maintain your business? Which of those are tax write-offs?
- Do you need to Trademark your business name? Is there already someone out there with a protected Trademark for the name you plan to use?
These are just a few of the things you need to keep in mind that can save you from a major headache later. I can’t tell you how many people I have helped who could have done a simple google search before deciding on a blog name to see someone else was already out there using it. I have even had multiple people start their own lifestyle or wedding blog and name it Oh Lovely Day (which is the name of my lifestyle blog that has been trademarked since 2012 AND is very obviously in use with a simple google search). I always find out and immediately send a cease and desist letter, which means they have to stop using the name right away or risk paying me damages (i.e. $$$). That means any branding, time, and financial investment they have put into that name is often lost.
If you need help figuring out the answers to these questions or setting up an LLC, filing for trademark protection, I offer legal and business consultations to help you get set up successfully from the start.